Monday 27 September 2010

Fresh Blood > Guilty Ghosts


Name: Guilty Ghosts
Origin: Brooklyn, New York, US
Genre: Ambient, Drone

::MP3::
from the digital single The Everlasting Evening (self-released, 2010)
from the cassette Enigma Variations (Words+Dreams, 2010)
[Get the whole 5-tracks cassette and more Guilty Ghosts' releases here]

Interview with Tristan O'Donnell - Guilty Ghosts below.

::Q&A::

1. How would you describe your sound in a few words?
Songs for the 3 a.m. walk home alone.

2. Name 3 bands without whom you wouldn't exist.
I'm just going to pick two to make it easier...

First and foremost, Godspeed You! Black Emperor has and always will be a huge inspiration to me. Perhaps it's obvious when you listen to my music but this kind of instrumental post-rock is something I really connect with. I came to know "Lift Yr Skinny Fists..." when I was in high school and I still look to them almost a decade later as a huge part of my musical upbringing. 
After discovering Godspeed, I became really enamored with other evocative instrumental rock bands like Mogwai and Explosions In The Sky, two groups who also know how to take you to beautiful places. Friends often tell me that Guilty Ghosts probably sounds more like those two bands, but I would say that it all started with Godspeed.

Secondly, I probably wouldn't have started even releasing my recordings had it not been for Grouper. Since hearing "Poison Tree", I always look to her music, her individuality and her integrity as a standard to follow. 

3. If you'd have the chance to work with any film director, who would that be?
I'm a huge film enthusiast and admire many filmmakers so this is fun for me to imagine. A movie that I reference and re-watch often is Buffalo '66 so I'm just going to say Vincent Gallo

4. Tell us a bit about the making of these songs.
Unlike my first EP, Enigma Variations was completed very quickly. I had a lot of songs that were unfinished and lingering on my hard drive. 
Not long after I started putting my songs on the internet, my friend Matt who runs Words+Dreams and I had talked about making a cassette release. When I began selling copies of my EP online, we had hopes of taking part in a tape trade and had to meet a specific deadline in order to participate. 

I rushed through finishing these demos that ended up becoming what you hear today. I record and mix all of my music from my bedroom with really basic but functional digital equipment. After I mixed everything down on my computer, we did another mix for tape. Matt brought over his dubbing rack and we did the tapes two at a time. We did all of the dubbing, and artwork printing and packaging in 2 days. 

5. Do you still buy CDs/vinyl/ tape?
I buy new music constantly. Vinyl, CD's, tapes, whatever I can get my hands on. I'm particularly fond of LP's that are coming out on Olde English Spelling Bee and any CD on Root Strata I'll give a listen to and support. I recently got the Oneohtrix Point Never mixtape from Curatorial Club. I try to go to the record store once every three weeks or so and get several releases at a time.

No comments: