Friday 27 August 2010

Fresh Blood > Secret Message Machine


Name: Secret Message Machine
Origin: Greensboro, North Carolina, US
Genre: Noise Pop, Lo-fi

::MP3::
from the forthcoming album Orphanville (self-released, out September 1st)
from the forthcoming album Orphanville (self-released, out September 1st)
[stream the upcoming release from the artist's page]

[Read below our Q&A with Micheal Barrett, the mind behind SMM]
::Q&A::

1. How would you describe your sound in a few words?
Psychedelic-noise-pop.

2. Name 3 bands without whom you wouldn't exist.
R.E.M., Brian Eno, Guided by Voices.

3. If you'd have the chance to work with any film director, who would that be?

4. Tell us a bit about the making of these songs.
I recorded all the instruments: drums, organ, synth, piano, guitar. I hand built the guitar for fun. I wanted to create a mixture of sounds which are unusual and hopefully reach a magical quality while still creating structured pop songs. 
Most of them have wildly different sounding sections. I wanted the songs to be rewarding for people who listen, so that they hear new sounds each time. 
Lyrically the songs are about escapism, religion, spirituality, the southern states, and a good bit of fantasy.

5. Do you still buy CDs/vinyl/ tape?
Yeah, I mostly buy new vinyl because I love the large artwork and the listening experience is completely different from listening on an iPod. 
I work at a store that sells used CDs, so I get a lot of music there too.

No comments: