Sunday 8 August 2010

Fresh Blood > John Hornak



Name: John Hornak
Origin: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Genre: Electroacustic, Dub

::MP3::

from A Needle, A Feather And A Rope (Wood Core Records, 2009)
from A Needle, A Feather And A Rope (Wood Core Records, 2009)
from A Needle, A Feather And A Rope (Wood Core Records, 2009)

[Exclusive interview with John Hornak after the break]

::Q&A::

1. How would you describe your sound in a few words?
I think Ambient Dub would be the most apt.

2. Name 3 bands without whom you wouldn't exist.
Igor Stravinsky, King Tubby and Yes.

3. If you'd have the chance to work with any film director, who would that be?
Matthew Barney.

4. Tell us a bit about the making of these songs.
In 2008 I traveled through Eastern Europe and Morocco. I composed a ton of melodies. When I returned to Calgary I recorded about 100 tracks over the course of 2 years. I whittled that down to 13 tracks.
Essentially the record is location based music. Hlavna Stanica is meant to convey the essence of Bratislava, Munchin Ice is all about traveling from Munich to Frankfurt. Each track is roughly labeled to it's location.
After the record was complete, I went back to Europe for a small tour. I was happy to see that at least as an experiment, it succeeded.

5. Do you still buy CDs/vinyl/ tape?
Nope. Can't say that I do. CD's are horribly toxic. I'm all about a copyright free Internet. If people want to support my work, they can certainly purchase the digital files, see me perform live, or request it on their local radio.

No comments: