Saturday 25 September 2010

Fresh Blood > Universe


Name: Universe
Origin: Los Angeles, California, US
Genre: Chillwave, Ambient
Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/itstheuniverse

::MP3::
"Faces"
from Gazing Gazing (out October 10th, self-released)
"Nova Albion"
from Gazing Gazing (out October 10th, self-released)
[Get the whole album here]

Interview with Hunter John aka Universe after the jump.

::Q&A::

1. How would you describe your sound in a few words?
I would describe my sound somewhere between a lukewarm rain shower and resting your head on your favorite pillow after 6 weeks apart. Lush, Warm, inviting.

2. Name 3 bands without whom you wouldn't exist.
Those three bands would have to be Japan/David Sylvian, Soviet, and Kraftwerk (the Ralf & Florian era).

3. If you'd have the chance to work with any film director, who would that be?
In terms of just making a film with someone, I've always dreamed of a film directed by Harmony Korine starring Chris Farley, River Pheonix, and Harmony himself. It would be an epic American tale, taking bits and pieces of American folk lore (Paul Bunyan, Johnny Appleseed, Blue Ox...etc..etc). It would take place during the western expansion...There would be natives, flowers, fires, and Oregon...

In terms of scoring a film, a John Hughes film would be awesome to score. There's also an upcoming film currently called Mermaid Film that I may take a whack at scoring...You can see a trailer for it here.

4. Tell us a bit about the making of these songs.
It either starts with a specific sound I've created, or a melody. Once I've a sound or a melody down that I reallllly like, I start filling everything else in. Everything is analog, everything is played by hand.
The next I focus on mood. I try to relate songs to places I've been, feelings I've experienced on first arriving to new places, memories, ambitions.

The upcoming album Gazing, Gazing (which is out October 10th) really focuses on a line between some sort of modern pop, and creative free flowing improvisation. Most of the lyrics were created right as I would sing them. I wanted to be kind of liquid.

5. Do you still buy CDs/vinyl/ tape?
I really really enjoy music on vinyl and tape. I enjoy patience in music. Albums are albums for a reason, and sound great listened to cohesively. With tapes and vinyl, it's not as simple to just skip from song to song. I like this.
I like just sitting back and letting the music play as it's supposed to. I will be releasing the new album on tape, and a CD, because I cant afford to do vinyl (just yet), but the new album is made to be played on vinyl. So just pretend until then!

No comments: