Wednesday 11 August 2010

Fresh Blood > Easy Tom


Name: Easy Tom
Origin: Los Angeles, California, US
Genre: Psychedelic, Pop

::MP3::

from Their Only Dreams - B-Sides & Rarities (self-released, 2010)
from Their Only Dreams - B-Sides & Rarities (self-released, 2010)
from Their Only Dreams - B-Sides & Rarities (self-released, 2010)
from Their Only Dreams - B-Sides & Rarities (self-released, 2010)

[Our Q&A with Jaques Baraban aka Easy Tom after the break]

::Q&A::

1. How would you describe your sound in a few words?
Pocket Sized Psychedelic.

2. Name 4 bands without whom you wouldn't exist.
Joy Division, Janes Addiction, Syd Barret, and The Brian Jonestown Massacre.

3. If you'd have the chance to work with any film director, who would that be?

4. Tell us a bit about the making of these songs.
I started recording the songs that make my album 2 years ago after I spent the better part of a decade trying to have a working band.
I have always had an array of my own musical instruments, enough to simulate a full band and some type of multi-track recorder since I began writing my own songs at the turn of the century.

So, the actual songs that you have picked to share with your readers are the earliest ones I recorded for this record, except for "So Far So Close" that was the 5th to last song/recording.
Most of the songs are born from lyrics that pop in my head while I am driving around Los Angeles doing my day job. I scribble them down until I have enough words piled up and enough inspiration to make the music and then record.

Other songs come out in a sort of combustion of lyrics and melody at the same time, and others are just full free form experimentation and then sculpted to my satisfaction.
All the music was recorded in what should have been a dining room in my last 1 bedroom apartment where I lived with my wife and our daughter. We have since moved and now I record in the bedroom.

5. Do you still buy Cd's/vinyl/ tape?
Absolutely! My vinyl collection has not grown in years but I daydream about collecting some great jazz records again, and getting into some easy listening fusion...ha ha.
I buy a few Cd's at a time when the family and I gear up to go on a road trip. We are usually disappointed though. We always just listen to the greats over and over on our ipods, and don't even use that technology to the fullest.

I also trade Cd's and tapes with other DIY recording artists and have assembled a compilation you can download for free at http://mindlessvinyls.bandcamp.com (Mindless Vynils). I have found this to be the most satisfying musical exchange in these modern times. It is real and it is free.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tops and interesting