Origin: Liverpool, UK
Genre: Instrumental, Post-Rock
by MinionTV (self-released, 2010)
[free download from the band's bandcamp]
[Exclusive Q&A with Stephen Johnston from the band after the jump]
1. How would you describe your sound in a few words?
I think the nicest thing that has been said is that we sound like "the musical equivalent of cresting waves and seagulls" so I'll go with that.
2. Name 3 bands without whom you wouldn't exist.
Tough one but I'll name artists who inspire us at the moment : Radiohead, Brian Eno, M83.
3. If you'd have the chance to work with any film director, who would that be?
Michel Gondry. Everything he does seems to have a foreign nostalgic hold on me. Eternal Sunshine was such a beautiful film.
4. Tell us a bit about the making of these songs.
The album took about 5 months to record (from November 2009 to March this year.) We produced it ourselves with Justin and Sion mixing it. I'm extremely proud we managed to do it; it's a very intimate piece of work which we managed to squeeze in all of our emotional highs and lows.
5. Do you still buy CDs/vinyl/tape?
I tend to buy vinyl more than CDs these days just because it feels a bit more precious. It's great getting a digital download of the album which often comes with vinyl.